Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

GauGau

Today we rode a gaugau.  Not sure if I even know how to pronounce it, but we rode one.  Gauguas are the little minivan buses that run constantly on the one main road.  Somehow they are able to hold about 15 people, plus the driver, plus a conductor.  You thumb down a gaugau and the conductor tells you where to sit;.  Everytime someone gets on or off, the conductor rearranges the entire mess.   But the good thing is gaugaus are plentiful AND affordable.   A gaugau ride from our condo into Cabarete was about 25 DOP each....or about 60 cents.  To go all the way into Sosua it was 50 DOP.  We rode into Cabarete first to test the water....so to speak.  In Cabarete we went to the bank, visited a cigar shop and FINALLY saw the Caberete beach with all the bars and restaurants -- we will be back.  Then onto Sosua....oh let me tell you about Sosua.  We had been to the grocery store in Sosua before which was fine....and we had driven through the town with Endre and Michaellyn, but never really noticed what Sosua is famous for - until today.  And that is prostitution.  I can't tell you how many 60 or 70 year old men we saw walking down the street with big smiles on their face and holding hands with a 20 something Dominican on their arm (at least I wanted to tell myself those girls were at least 20 years old).  It looked like a bunch of nerdy teenagers who got invited to prom by a cheerleader.  They were so happy.  We ate lunch in Sosua, checked out the fishing and shops and then went to the Sosua grocery store.  I don't think we'll be back to Sosua unless I decide to fish, that seems to be the only place to hook up with a fishing boat (among other things).

We would (or should) have taken pictures of this trip but Matt was a bit to apprehensive about the whole gaugau experience to take the camera, but next time we will.

The full moon has been incredible the last few nights, and we have tried and tried to get a picture of it.  But just couldn't do it.

One of our most important purchases today (beside my wine and beer and Matt's butter and cigars) was a hair clip for my hair!  I am due for a haircut and not sure where I'll get that done!  So I cut my own bangs and pulled the rest of it back with a clip.;....probably a good chance there will be no more pics of me on this blog until I figure this hair thing out!

No comments:

Post a Comment